Friday, February 21, 2014

Concerning Mercy and Achievement



Dear Reader,
                I’m attempting a different style of writing. While I try to write essays, I feel like the formalities for proper essay-writing interfere with my purpose for writing. When I am so concerned about making sure that things are written properly, I sometimes lose focus on actually explaining what I mean. I cannot say this will be better, but I can have hope it will be. I hope that by writing these opinions as a letter, there is somehow added a human aspect.
                My first concern is one I have thought about just recently and that is how we view Mercy. It’s a weird concept that can only exist in an unfair world because it creates an imbalance, but for good. When a poor man, who was rich but squandered all his money on wicked deeds, begs a hardworking man for money, it is the honest man’s choice to give it and ask for nothing in return. This is an example of mercy.
                However, if the poor man finally finds a job that pays well and the other man comes and suddenly demands his money back, has not the previous act been nullified? While in some cases, it might be considered fair, it is usually not so. For the man, when giving the money in the first place, did indeed say he required nothing in return. Even if the man simply did not say anything, it should be expected that nothing should be returned. Unless the money is specified from the start as an investment, it should be considered a gift.
                Now again, we might argue that if the same amount money is taken away, it is fair, because the poor man did not earn that original amount. But think, who would that mentality help? Certainly not the poor man. It is one thing to be given a gift. It is completely another thing to earn your wage. Mercy should never be used to overlook accomplishment. For how does it help society if our mentality permits us to not value our achievements? Now if the poor man gave away the gift on his own, then he should be considered greater than the honest man before him. For it is a good deed for a rich man to give to the poor, but when the poor give to the poor, it is a great deed.
                So my readers, I ask you to let your acts of mercy be so. Likewise, let your gifts stay as gifts. Do not give into the idea, “I gave it to you, therefore I can take it away.” For once you give up ownership of something, you give up your right to it and this is for the best. For is it not better that we give rather than take?

N.D. Moharo

No comments:

Post a Comment