Monday, October 21, 2013

Warm Milk

Sorry for the delay. I intended this post to go up last Friday but I got distracted by a deluge of obligations and other things. It's not much, but it is something that has been on my mind for some time.

         As I was growing up, I really had trouble falling asleep. Even the stuff I heard makes you drowsy and ready to sleep had no effect on me. Counting sheep was not a useful trick either. On the flip side, if I went to my parents bed, then I would sleep quite easily but they told me that I would have to grow out of it. So then there is that warm milk idea. It didn't work for me so well, but then I started to ponder why it might work for some people and not for others.
         When I did my research online, I found that there is no scientific proof to whether it should work or not. I read that some people say there is something inside that makes people tired, but then others retort that it's not enough to have such an effect. So if reasoning is not scientific, perhaps it's psychological.
          My argument is that the reason why warm milk might put some people to sleep is breastfeeding.  I would imagine that mother's milk would be warm and it would be a baby's comfort food. Now in my case, I'm told I was pretty quick to stop breastfeeding as a baby (chocolate milk is the answer). So perhaps that is why warm milk does not work for me so well, but going to mommy's bed would. It's just an idea. However, I would like to see a study that examines the correlation between people who were breastfed with those who can sleep after drinking warm milk.


No comments:

Post a Comment